General information for students

Exchange students at Stord/Haugesund University College do not pay tuition fees. They are also exempt from the semester fee.

Cost of living

As a general guideline, the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund estimates that the total monthly expenditure for students amounts to NOK 9,800 (including housing). Students must be prepared to pay at least NOK 3,500 a month for furnished student accommodation, which includes electricity and heating. (Please note that rent has to be paid for full calendar months.) Costs for food, recreation and travel may vary greatly from student to student according to habits and priorities, but many students are able to bring down the cost of living considerably by cooking their own food. Examples of Norwegian prices for some common goods are:

  • 1 litre milk NOK 12
  • 12 eggs NOK 24
  • loaf of bread NOK 15-20
  • kilo cheese NOK 75
  • 250 grams coffee NOK 15-20
  • bottle of beer NOK 15-20
  • pint at pub NOK 40-70
  • 20 cigarettes NOK 80
  • 500 grams ground beef NOK 35

Further examples of prices in Norway Source:

More about costs and prices in Norway:

Accommodation and meals

At Stord/Haugesund University College exchange students are guaranteed accommodation either at the student housing or private marked. The student housing is managed by the Student Welfare Organization (Studentsamskipnaden - SSH). The accommodation leased to international students are normally fully equipped, with kitchen utensils, duvet, pillow, bed linen and towels, but sometimes there are exceptions. Please note that accommodation contracts in Norway normally are for full months, from the 1st of the moth to the 30th/31th of the month. Students should take this into account when preparing a budget.

Meals are available in student cafeterias on both campuses, which are also run by the Students' Welfare Organization. Lunch services range from sandwiches (NOK 30-45), salads (NOK 45), soups (NOK 25), burgers (NOK 20) and pizza (NOK15) to a full warm meal (NOK 45-55). Dinner is also available in the cafeteria until 4:30 pm.

Opening hours
Mon-Thur. Fri.
Canteen Stord 8.15-16.00 8.15-14.00
Canteen Haugesund 8.30-16.30 8.30-14.00
Cafe Haugesund 7.45-18.45 7.45-15.00

Most Norwegian students follow the tradition of bringing a packed lunch from home to campus and the majority of students prepare their own dinners at home. Student accommodation is self-catering, and meal plans are not offered.

Medical facilities

Stord/Haugesund University College does not have a student medical clinic located on campus, but the Students' Welfare Association and the University College will help finding a doctor or dentist if needed.

The Norwegian National Health Scheme is based on a user fee system. General consultations cost approximately € 25. However, this fee will increase if one requires tests or goes to the emergency clinic or medical clinic. SSH administers a student health fund that may assist students with extraordinarily high expenses not covered by the Norwegian National Health Scheme, including dental care.

Emergency Clinic Haugesund Phone: 52 80 40 00, address: Karmsundgata 59B. Open Mon-Fri 15.30-24.00 and Sat-Sun 09.00-24.00

Medical Clinic Haugesund Phone: 52 70 18 00, address: Gard Senter, Nygårdsveien 6. Open Mon-Fri 08.00 - 16.00.

Emergency Clinic Stord Phone: 53 41 63 00, address: Stord Hospital. Open Mon-Fri 15.00 - 22.00, Sat 11.00 - 18.00 and Sun 14.00 - 21.00

Health Clinic Stord Address: Lønningsåsen 9b. Open every other Monday in even numbered weeks 18.00 - 20.00 and Wednesday 18.00 - 20.00. You do not need to make an appointment.

Emergency numbers:

  • 113 (Ambulance)
  • 112 (Police)
  • 110 (Fire)

Some medicines are sold without prescription in pharmacies (apotek) and food stores, but stronger medication (i.e. antibiotics) where a doctor's prescription is needed, is sold only in pharmacies.

Facilities for special needs students

In order to ensure equal access for students with all types of disabilities, Stord/Haugesund University College has a network of contact persons for special needs students. The contact persons provide students with information and assistance and are located at both campuses.

Both campuses are accessible for wheelchair users and have ample parking for students with special needs. Most of the buildings are modern and well-equipped with features such as automatic doors and elevators.

The Department of academic affairs helps facilitate good examination conditions for students with disabilities. Please see the University College Examination regulations for further details.

For additional information please contact the student counsellor Thomas Mikkelsen.

Student counsellor

If you have personal concerns such as anxiety, stress, lack of motivation or relationship problems you may wish to see a counsellor. Stord/Haugesund University College has a network of contact persons concerning student welfare and other social and practical matters. The contact persons provide students with information and assistance and are located at both campuses. Your discussion will be confidential and free of charge.

For additional information please contact the student counsellor Thomas Mikkelsen.


All students from EU/EEA countries must bring a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), from their home countries. This card entitles them to medical care under the Norwegian National Health Scheme. However, expenses related to dental care and illnesses contracted before arrival in Norway are not covered.

Exchange students from other parts of the world need to be covered by insurance from their home countries in order to be reimbursed when obtaining services from the Norwegian National Health Scheme.

Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
(Search for «Application for insurance during stay in Norway» in the search field there!).

It is the student's own responsibility to make insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property resulting from, or in any way connected with, their study period in Norway. Students staying for more than one year may qualify for voluntary membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. This may be applied for after receipt of a Norwegian identity number.

Public Liability Insurance/ Third Party Professional Liability:
Students who come to Norway to have practice placements through Stord/Haugesund University College have third party professional liability insurance through the institution where they have their practice placement.
However, if the student has been particularly negligent, it is possible that the institution will hold the student personally responsible, to a greater or lesser extent. It is therefore very important that the student use common sense and professional caution while in practice.

Financial support for students

Norwegian Students

Students who have been admitted to Stord/Haugesund University College as regular students can apply for a loan and scholarship from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund. See for more information. In addition, students who study abroad receive a travel scholarship. If students are required to pay tuition fees, parts of the fee is granted as a scholarship depending on level of the degree (Bachelor' degree or Master's degree). Stord/Haugesund University College does not charge tuition fees.

Students can apply for their loan and scholarship online, and they can also check the processing of the application and the final result.

Foreign Exchange Students

Incoming exchange students are not eligible for financial support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund, but students from EU/EEA-countries may apply for scholarships through the Erasmus or Nordplus programmes in their home countries if their home university is a partner of Stord/Haugesund University College.

The University College also participates in the Quota Scheme, which is a national scholarship programme for students from Central and Eastern Europe and developing countries.

Citizens of countries outside EU/EEA-area and Switzerland must document their ability to finance their stay in Norway. The Norwegian Immigration Authorities require that students can provide a minimum amount of money required to cover living expenses for one academic year in Norway.

Required amount NOK 97 850 (approx. 12 000 EUR) for applicants to the Bachelor programmes.

Financing must be documented in one of the following ways:

  • A recent official bank statement/transcript in the applicants name.
  • A sponsor guarantee letter + sponsor's recent official bank statement/transcript. The sponsor should be aware that the required sum must be available as soon as the applicant is admitted.

Learning Facilities

Stord/Haugesund University College has modern learning facilities such as computer labs, fixed and wireless Internet access and libraries with comprehensive database resources.


The University College has two libraries, one at each campus, with much literature in English. The libraries have been built up around the study programmers offered at the different campuses.

More information about the library facilities

University College's computer network

All students have access to their own domain within the University College's computer network. User access will be granted as soon as you have registered as a student at the University College.

Read the ICT Introduction for new international students here!

For more information on wireless connections and how to get assistance please contact the ICT Help desk, Haugesund campus,, phone: 52702850 or Stord campus,, phone: 53491500.


The ARK bookstore sell textbooks related to curriculum and publications of general interest, and also general literature, newspapers, stationary and cards.

Group rooms and reading room

HSH has several group rooms and reading rooms students can use.

Stord: for the group rooms at the library at Stord it is the "first come first served" principle. The other group rooms you have to book electronically. There are also workstations at the computer labs

Haugesund: Several group rooms which you book electronically. There are also workstations at the computer lab.

Reading rooms

Stord: at the library

Haugesund: on the ground floor (1076)

Extra reading rooms during the exam period will be announced on Fronter.

Please Note: Food and drinks are not allowed in the reading rooms.

International Programmes

Emphasis on internationalization is important for Stord/Haugesund University College. We consider international collaboration to be of great importance and wish to develop and extend such activities. The University College has for many years had substantial international cooperation with other colleges and institutions, with student exchange being a top priority. The University College currently has student exchange agreements with various institutions in Europe, USA, Australia and New Zealand. An increasing number of our students choose to study abroad. The courses they take become an integrated part of their studies at Stord/Haugesund University College.

The college participates in the Nordic NORDPLUS programme and the European ERASMUS programme. Agreements with universities abroad enable students to obtain various post-graduate degrees.

The International Office administers the student exchange programme and other international activities. For more information, please see or contact the International Office at Stord/Haugesund University College.

Language courses

Regular study programmes at Stord/Haugesund University College are taught in Norwegian. International students who apply for admission to the University College must document qualifications in Norwegian and/or English. The University College does not have any Norwegian language courses or programs wich leads to qualification for admission to a regular study programme.

The International Office offers a 20-25 hours course in basic Norwegian language in the fall semester, free of charge for incoming study abraod/exchange students. The course is non-credited, with no exam, and takes place during the semester, in the evening. Students will receive information about time and how to sign up for it shortly after arrival.

Although Norwegian is the main language of instruction at Stord/Haugesund University College, a substantial part of course literature is in English. Proficiency in English is therefore required. Students who are not native speakers of English have to document their knowledge of English with one of the following tests:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
    with a minimum score of 500 (paper based) or 170 (computer based).
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing Service)
    with a minimum score of 5.0 points

The following categories of applicants are exempted from the English test requirement:

  • Applicants from countries within the EU/EEA who can document that they have had English as their first foreign language in primary/secondary school for at least 7 years.
  • Citizens of the following English speaking countries: Australia, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand and the USA or applicants who have successfully completed at least one year of academic studies at a college or university in one of these countries.
  • Students from African countries with the East or West African School Certificate with which they can document an examination in English at the Advanced Level passed with C or better, or after having completed a Bachelor's degree.
  • Students who have studied English language as one of their main subjects at university level can apply for an exemption.
  • Students accepted within the framework of an exchange programme or a bilateral agreement, although a good command of English is recommended.

Norwegian is the official language of instruction at all institutions of higher education in Norway. A good command of the Norwegian langauge is therefore a prerequisite for admission to regular courses and degree programmes. The Norwegian Universities and Colleges Admission Service (NUCAS) coordinates the admission to ordinary undergraduate study programmes at all universities, university colleges, and some private university colleges in Norway. You may read more about admission requirements and pre-requisites on their website.

All international students who wish to take courses that are offered in Norwegian or want to become regular students after one year as guest students, visiting students or exchange students (ERASMUS, NORDPLUS or other agreements), must be able to document one of the following exams or tests in Norwegian.

The minimum requirement for attending regular degree programmes where Norwegian is the language of instruction is either:

  • Norwegian level III with a minimum pass of 3.0 from a Norwegian language programme for foreign students; or
  • Test in Norwegian, higher level, the "Bergenstesten", with a minimum score of 450; or
  • Exam in Norwegian from a Norwegian secondary school, "Norsk alternativ fagplan", with the results 3 (written) and 4 (oral); or
  • Document or exam from the Department of Scandinavian studies (or similar) at the home university stating that the applicant has knowledge of Norwegian equivalent to the level of one of the above tests or exams; or
  • Completion of three years of secondary school in Norway; or
  • Norwegian as a second language in secondary school.

Students have the following possibilities to learn some Norwegian prior to arrival:

SIU (the Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Higher Education) has developed a course in Norwegian for self-tuition to be used before arrival in Norway. The course is called "Bridges to Norway" and consists of a textbook, in English, on society and culture, and a language course with two audio cassettes. For additional information please consult SIU at

The Norwegian University of Science and Technology has developed a free online course in basic Norwegian language, available here. The course is non-credited, has no exams and does not lead to any diplomas or course certificates.

The EILCs, a scheme supported by the European Commission, are specialized courses in the less widely used and taught European Union languages and the languages of the other participating countries in ERASMUS. The EILCs give Erasmus students (and in some cases teachers) the opportunity to study the language of the host country for 3-8 weeks, in the host country. EILCs for incoming ERASMUS students are offered at the University of Oslo and at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim. For further information and application forms please consult Erasmus Intensive Language Courses.


At the present time, there is no internship program available at Stord/Haugesund University College.

Leisure and sports facilities

The area surrounding Stord and Haugesund has a wealth of diverse attractions including galleries, churches, historical buildings and beautiful outdoor areas. The region hosts many museums which specialize in cultural themes such as coastal life, herring fisheries and the Viking period.

For more information on Haugesund and the surrounding area Source:

For more information on the city of Haugesund Source:

For more information on Stord and the surrounding area Source:

Student associations

As an exchange student at Stord/Haugesund University College, one automatically becomes a member of SSH (Stord/Haugesund Student Welfare Organization). SSH's main task is to contribute to the students' well-being and promote cultural and sporting activities, health and social amenities, and provide funding for these pursuits. Membership also entails benefits for exchange students and other guest students.

Some of the services provided by SSH include the following:

  • Student housing/ Accommodation
  • Kindergartens
  • Student cafeterias

For additional information places contact SSH:

The Student Welfare Office Stord/Haugesund
Bjørnsonsgate 45
5528 Haugesund
Telephone (+47) 52 70 28 70
Fax (+47) 52 70 28 71

Student life is much more than just studying. Several student organisations provide a wide range of activities for all students. There are sport groups, student clubs, and political organizations just to name a few. Getting involved in some of the activities is a great experience in itself and also an excellent way of developing new skills, meeting other people and making new friends.

Student organizations at SHUC

Stord/Haugesund University College has a gym in the basement of campus Haugesund. Open Mon-Fri from 06.00-19.00.

Practical Information for mobile students

Student Residence permit

All students who plan to stay in Norway (except citizens from Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Iceland) for more than three months will need a student residence permit. Visas are only issued for stays up to 90 days (e.g. for certain Summer School programmes).

Depending on the country of citizenship, you may enter Norway by means of either

  • Visa
  • Passport

A visa is required by citizens from all countries except Schengen countries and countries where Norway has a visa waiver agreement. A full overview of these countries can be found here. If you do not come from one of these countries, you have to contact the nearest Norwegian Foreign Mission (embassy or consulate).

Citizens of an EU / EEA / EFTA

Citizens of an EU / EEA / EFTA country no longer need to apply for a residence permit to Norway, but please make a preliminary registration on the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration. When you arrive in Haugesund, you just have to bring the necessary documents with you to the Police station to finalize your registration.

  • Passport/ID-card
  • Valid insurance of forms E-111/E-128 or European Health Insurance Card
  • 2 passport pictures not older than 3 months ( a machine is available at the police station)
  • The letter of Admission from SHUC or any other document that shows that you are enrolled as student at SHUC.

The police office in Haugesund is located in Smedasundet 50. Immigraiton office is open 08.00 - 14.00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

For students outside of EU/EEA

For students outside of EU/EEA we recommend you apply for a student residence permit from your home country. You should submit your application to a Norwegian Foreign Mission. The application must be submitted in person. Applications sent by mail or email will not be processed. In some cases the applicant may expect to be called in for an interview. Please visit the Norway Portal to locate the Norwegian embassy or consulate general nearest you.

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is the public agency processing all applications for a student residence permit. For complete information about the Norwegian immigration regulations please visit their website.

Practical information for incoming students Haugesund

Practical information for incoming students Stord

International Office

The International office coordinates agreements and programmes on international cooperation as well as giving advice students, staff, and administrative personnel. Stord/Haugesund University College has decided on a Strategic Plan for internationalization which aims at strengthening the field of international cooperation.

The International Office cooperates closely with the faculties and the departmental coordinators.

Institutional coordinators

Departmental coordinators

General information about studying in Norway

Norwegian Agency for Quality in Education

Information from the Nordic Council

Sida ble sist oppdatert: 03.03.2015