Studiehåndbokas emner for 2016/2017:
(English)Fire Engineering Simulations
The course will give a thorough introduction to fire modelling and simulation. Recognized computer tools will be applied to simulate fire development in buildings and evacuation. The course will focus on fundamental understanding of the theory behind two-zone models, field models (CFD) and egress models, and will provide knowledge to possibilities and limitations with the models. After completed the course the student will be able to simulate fire development in ordinary buildings with zone models, field models (CFD) and egress modelling.
- Can describe methods to solve partial differential equations numerically.
- Can describe the fundamental theory of two-zone models, CFD models and egress modelling.
- Can discuss the possibilities and limitations with hand calculations, two-zone models, CFD models and egress models.
- Can create a simple two-zone model in spread sheet.
- Can solve simple heat transfer problems, both numerically and analytically.
- Can calculate egress time in simple building constructions.
- Can do an analysis of evacuation and apply egress models to predict egress time in complex buildings.
- Can apply two-zone models and field models (CFD) to conduct a fire safety analysis.
- Can construct a fire safety technical report where required safe egress time (RSET) and available safe egress time (ASET) are predicted.
- Can evaluate the validity of fire calculations.
- Can discuss improvements in order to decrease RSET or/and increase ASET.
- Can present technical material in both written form and by using audio-visual tools.
- Can apply computer tools to conduct calculations and visualise the results.
- Can write and structure an academic report.
- Can reflect on his/her own work and take an active role when working in groups.
Lectures, exercises, demonstrations and lab work.
Practical information about the course:
Recommended Previous Knowledge:
Fire dynamics, fluid dynamics
Course Examination Description:
The student will get approximately 30 min preparation before the oral exam where all written material are allowed.
|Component Name||Duration||Weight||Supporting Materials|
|Fire Engineering Simulations: Portfolio||1 semesters||40/100||All printed and written study aids may be used|
|Fire Engineering Simulations: Oral exam||20 minutes||60/100||Personal notes.|
|Have you already completed one or more of the courses below? If so, the credits you will receive for the course described here, ING3049, will be reduced by the number of credits shown in the credits column. Possible deficencies/mistakes may occur.|
|Course Title||Course Code||Credits|
|Fire Engineering Simulations||ING3014 (1)||
|Fire Engineering Simulations||ING3011 (1)||
|Fire Engineering Simulations||INGB100BRANN (1)||
Subject's last update: 02/15/2017 09:42