Studiehåndbokas emner for 2016/2017:
This course provides the students with an understandig of basic and fundamental mathemathicsas tools to be used in further nautical science studies.
The student has knowledge of:
- Aritmetic and algebra
- Fractions, parenthesis rules, factorization, reduce rational fractions, laws of exponents, integer and rational exponents, roots.
- Equations and inequalities
- Formulars. Equations, equation systems and inequalities of first, second and higher degree. Factorization of polynomials, divisjon of polynomials and sign schemes.Irrational equations.
- Differentiation and integration
- Rules of differentiation, simple and more complicated functions. Indefinite and definite integrals, different methods of integration. How to solve problems of monotony, max/min, slope and point of inflection, divided -, inverse- and symmetrical functions. Area and volum calculus of a motion of a body about an axis.
- The meaning of functions, linear functions, equations for straight lines, polynomial functions, rational functions, limits, asymptotes, coordinate system, polar coordinates, discussion.
- Exponential- and logarithmic functions, Briggs and natural logarithms. Rules and 1st and 2nd degree equation for logarithms and exponentials. Grafhical drawing and discussion.
- Definition of trigonometric functions. Triangel calculations, area and volum, sinuslaw, cosinelaw, angles, degrees and radians. Trigonometric equations, 1st an 2nd degree. Graphs of trigonometric functions. Differentiation, integration and dicuss graphical solutions.
- Vector calculus
- Vectors in two and three dimensions, vector coordinates, scalar product, vector product, triple scalarproduct, in geometry to use vectorcalculus to find angles, length, area and volum.
- Sequences and series
- Sequences, series, arithmetic ¿ and geometric series, finite and infinite series,convergence.
The student :
- Are able to understand and use mathematical rules and techniques within the topics of the course.
- Are able to analyze and solve different problems.
- Has insight in mathematics as a tool for other courses, and can use logical and analytical methods relevant in further nautical science studies.
Lectures and joint exercise sessions.
Practical information about the course:
None. Note that Nautical Science Y-vei- students must have passed NAB1023 Grunnleggende realfag Y-vei.
Recommended Previous Knowledge:
Mathematics equal to higher education entrance qualification.
Assignments (will be specified at the beginning of the semester).
Course Examination Description:
|Component Name||Duration||Weight||Supporting Materials|
|Basic Mathematics - written exam||5 hours||The College's Teknisk formelsamling(Pedersen, Gustavsen, Kaasa og Olsen) is handed out during the exam|
The University College`s calculator (Texas TI 84) will be handed out
|Have you already completed one or more of the courses below? If so, the credits you will receive for the course described here, NAB1030, will be reduced by the number of credits shown in the credits column. Possible deficencies/mistakes may occur.|
|Course Title||Course Code||Credits|
|Mathematics I||NAB1012 (1)||
|Mathematics II||NAB1013 (1)||
Subject's last update: 02/15/2017 09:42